View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
Disagree. The original Besaid has always been my single favorite track from the original score. It's a play of tranquil, abstract electronic timbres, minimalist figures, and a subdued, perfectly placed downtempo beat. That particular blend of elements makes the whole piece feel timeless and evocative, and exactly as developed as the core idea behind it needed to be. It's like a perfectly crafted piece of origami, and 12 years later, it still feels fresh and unique within the FF music canon, and Hamauzu's own repertoire.

This new version trades in all that sleek, restrained calm for overwrought sentiment, with bland, new-age texturing and a gratingly schmaltzy violin lead. It sounds like something from the generic "Asian Moods" budget albums sold in Japanese kitsch stores, with tacky bamboo and zen garden cover art.

It's honestly one of the most uninteresting, tone-deaf pieces of music I've ever heard from Hamauzu.
I totally agree! The new arrangement lost nearly all its charm with this dreary arrangement.