View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:56 PM

@Hellacia:

OK, not trying to be confrontational, just having a good conversation, BUT you were the one that said "If he was selling 100 of them, people wouldn't be paying $500 a piece and that's what he wants."

I was only pointing out that, sure, if he had 100, he couldn't sell them for $500, he'd just sell them for a mere $10 and make $1000 instead of $500. (Yes, of course it would all depend on him actually selling the items, in either case). So making a one-and-done would not be as profitable.

However, the argument becomes irrelevant when you clarified that you weren't talking about bootlegging companies (that actually Pro-press CDs/CDRs), but about individuals who manually slap a cover on a CDR. At that point I would whole-heartedly agree with you. Manually creating that many copies would not be worth the effort.

I just didn't think you were talking about Joe-Blow selling some trash. I wouldn't even dignify that by glorifying it to "Bootleg" status. There should be a category below Bootleg where these belong. LOL

And, yes, I've seen the crazyness of people paying hundreds of dollars for soundtracks (almost $700 once for the Fallout soundtrack). I've been collecting soundtracks since the early to mid 1990's. Don't let my low post count fool ya.

My original point was: when do we decide (if there is no info available) that an album we've never seen before is either 1) Official 2) Bootleg 3) Trash (this is my personal rating system). The fact that I recall reading that there might be a new "Auction Site" option in the "Publish Format" category for when we can find NO info for an album, leads me to believe that we recognize that not all albums for which we can't find info are trash...or else we simply wouldn't add them to the DB, instead of creating and entry option for them. Maybe I've misinterpreted the intent on that issue.

For the record, I actually own the Music of Tamriel CD. It was...hold your breath...one of the ones my friend received while working at Egghead Software. When you pre-paid (as they called it back then) for the game, they actually rung it up on your receipt as "Promotional Gift" (IIRC) and handed you the CD. I have several other very interesting albums that I'm investigating before uploading to the DB.

Anyway, the topic is very stimulating and interesting. I love hearing other people's take on the subject.

Sorry about the derailment. Back on thread track:

How about the Skinjob2000 (Westwood Edition) Blade Runner soundtrack. Only 10 copies floating around.