View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2016, 06:21 AM

Nice to see you honour this thread with your first post since 2013. Your first post, period/full stop, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
I'm also a fan of SSH. Not crazy about the Touhou kick lately, I'd much rather see different arrangements and more original music. But more anything is good. Also hope to see more music available internationally, gladly picked up Forgotten Ruins/Click & Metal on Amazon, even though it's missing the versions without leads.

Admittedly, I don't listen to his Touhou arrangements as often as I do his other works (it doesn't help that I have no interest in Touhou whatsoever). Having said that, there is no denying that there are top quality tracks with moments of sheer brilliance. e.g. The sampled (?) rap + metal hybrid from Frenzy Frenzy's 上海紅茶館 - a demo of this can be heard on his Soundcloud.

Arrangements of other games would certainly be nice. I don't think we've seen any since 2012's "Blast From The Past". Honestly though, I don't even think arrangements are necessary. S.S.H. has his own "voice" and I think he can succeed on his own compositions and merits instead of piggy-backing off of songs by other musicians. Even if we're talking about S.S.H.'s old game arranges, the most interesting thing about them in general and what I pay attention to, is S.S.H.'s own interpretation of it. Yes, it's an arrange of a classic tune that we all know and love, but it has that distinctive S.S.H. quality to it (e.g. the darker-ish tone to his Rockman 2: Dr. Wily Stage arrange). It's not simply retro game tune + guitars played note for note with no deviation.

Speaking of which, I haven't got bored of listening to Forgotten Ruins and Click & Metal since release date yet. I find myself fantasising about playing the lead guitar of the main melody-less versions of the songs in front of a crowd. One day...
The leadless tracks would also be useful for Rocksmith 2014 as a custom DLC, if someone manages to tab it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
I'll drop you a PM.
PM replied to. I have a good feeling about this.

Last edited by layzee; Aug 4, 2016 at 06:31 AM.