View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:31 PM

There's just something about owning a physical copy of the music that you love. Having the actual album with the artwork and liner notes. I admit that I haven't purchased an album in a while, but that's because I mostly have all the ones I want, and the few others I'd like to possess would be too difficult to locate or too costly to purchase. Fortunately, I've come upon some great deals in my time, so that treasure seeking element definitely held up for a good while. There are just times when you get into acquiring more VGM albums and times when you don't. Another period of interest may pop up again, though just like before, it'd be an interest in secondhand albums from the past rather than any new stuff. The last album I purchased was the Digicube copy of the Vagrant Story OST, which was something I had wanted for some time.

First collection stories are more fun though, so I'll say that I've been into VGM for a long time. Although I enjoyed NES music as much as anyone else, I didn't get into recording VGM until the 16-bit era. I recorded the complete Toejam & Earl and Bubsy soundtracks on a cassette deck. I also recorded some DKC songs in a compilation tape. I didn't get my first official VGM album however until I discovered that they existed in the late nineties. Since I got into RPGs with the tri-fecta of Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger, those were the first I had sought out. I used to turn on my save file in FFVI and listen to the Magitek Factory music. I did the same with Chrono Trigger and the various character themes you can hear by talking to a party member at the end of time. And so at some point I placed an order by phone to GameMusic.com. I soon received my Final Fantasy VI OSV and the rest is history.