View Single Post
Old May 20, 2018, 07:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Ken-P,

I love the work you've done so far in your career, and I am interested to see where things go from here.

As many above have expressed, avoiding over-arranged material from FFIV has to be paramount. Franchise fans are *tired* of Theme of Love. If you record an album without it, I suspect you will be admired for your boldness in ignoring it.

That being said, the early arrangements from Square at the time were not orchestra: there was the piano collection and Celtic Moon. And a lot of material from those albums were never orchestrated in, say, "Game Music Concert," or "Distant Worlds," or any other franchises. To that end, my votes for question 1)

Suspicion
Into the Darkness
Dancing Calbrina
The Lunarians (perhaps as a medley with Lunar Whale & Another Moon!)
Land of Dwarves

As for question 2)

If only because Square Enix has neglected it for so long, a full project specifically focused on Seiken Densetsu 3 would be amazing. I suspect if you contacted Kikuta-san he would be willing to work with you on it. For such a project, I would love to see a chamber music group that focused *heavily* on pitched percussion (glockenspiel, marimba, vibraphone, xylophone, etc), plus a handful of strings/wind/brass to fill out the sound.

Outside of the realm of Square, I think another interesting project you could try is, as mentioned above, Metroid franchise, with emphasis on Super Metroid. I have heard some electronic/synthesized orchestral work for this that sounded great, and I know that a real orchestral recording could take things even further. Some specific requests would include:

1) Kraid (Metroid)
2) Green Brinstar ~ Red Brinstar medley (Super Metroid)
3) Maridia (Super Metroid)
4) Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)

The Metroid franchise has seen a whole load of great rock arrangements thanks to "Stemage" and his band "Metroid Metal." I think it's time fans get a solid orchestral project just for this amazing franchise, with an emphasis on the older titles.

Thank you so much Ken-P!

Patrick "Ramza" Gann
www.rpgfan.com