View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:55 PM

I run RPGFan Music now, and I can completely appreciate someone having a different opinion from anyone who writes for the section on a piece of music. Heck, even I disagree with some of our reviews-- but that's because they're ONLY the opinion of the writer. For example, I really don't care for Falcom music, and that makes me a blasphemer to some. Doesn't make me wrong, but I'd be foolish to not acknowledge that a ton of people love that music.

Saying that the site (or SEMO, or any outlet that reviews music) is an insult to VGM, though, isn't something I can agree with. The most important thing to me isn't that we write some review that breaks down the technical aspects of an album in minute detail (especially since approximately none of our writers have any theoretical background in music, other than me, and I'm only learning any of that -now-), utilizing proper musical terminology.

The most important thing to me is that we share an opinion and it starts a discussion (anywhere!), because I believe discussion is part of appreciating music (or any kind of art), and I hope that leads VGM continuing to get more popular and loved by as many people as possible. I completely respect that someone doesn't agree with the content of a review, but to say that facilitating more appreciation of the music is "insulting" just isn't something I can agree with.