View Single Post
Old May 20, 2018, 11:17 AM

Hello Mr. Sato,

Thank you very much for letting us know about this project and participate.

I'm a fan of your orchestral work since I've heard Symphonic Tale Peter Pan and the orchestral/choral work of Dissidia 012.

I can only repeat what others have said, pieces already arranged and performed by a symphony orchestra would feel a bit repetitious, unless it is all woven into a full symphonic story using character themes like the "Final Symphony" albums.

As for question 2)

1. Anything by Hitoshi Sakimoto

His music was born to be performed by a Symphony Orchestra: Example 1 / Example 2

I would love to see an album about "Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon's Crown, Zodiac Age etc." performed by a symphony orchestra.

Ogre (Overture)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Unit Introductions)
Vagrant Story (Staff Roll)
Odin Sphere (Main Theme)
Dragon's Crown (Town)
Valkyria Chronicles (Climax/Conclusion)
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (Exciting Battle)
FFXII (The Zodiac Age)

His recent game score for Valkyria Chronicles 4: Eastern Front unfortunately also had no budget for live players. I imagine a kickstarter campaign for a Hitoshi Sakimoto album (made perfect by a symphonic recording of the highlights of Valkyria Chronicles 4) would find many people who would support it. That or a symphonic album about Final Fantasy Tactics.

2. The Game scores of Kohei Tanaka (from the 90s to the 2000s)

Paladin's Quest (Opening)
Bounty Sword (Main Theme)
Alundra (Main Theme)
Sakura Wars (Move Out!)
Sakura Wars 2: Beloved, You must not die (Final Battle Concerto)
Sakura Wars 3 (Eroica, Legend of Heroes)

Kohei Tanaka is one of my favorite composers and his early game work gets quite neglected despite the wonderful quality of the music. A symphonic album about Tanaka's game works from the early 90s to Sakura Wars would be a dream come true.

3. A Symphonic album about Final Fantasy VI

A Final Fantasy album taking Uematsu's compositions in interesting directions, using elements of Baroque, Classical and Modern elements, some interesting things can be done with it, the focus could be an operatic approach and in parts Golden Age Hollywood. I would choose FFVI as its regarded by many as his Magnum Opus and its the best suited for it.

Example 1 (FF VI Medley)
Example 2 (Dancing Mad)
Example 3 (20 minute end credits masterpiece)

4. A symphonic album about the Fire Emblem series.

Fire Emblem IV (Main Theme)
Fire Emblem Gaiden (Ending)
Fire Emblem Echoes (Where the Wind rustles)
Fire Emblem Echoes (Main Theme Opera)

Some wonderful music in this series that would really benefit a full symphonic ensemble. The series is also no stranger to opera so a bit of an operatic touch would be very appreciated. Either focusing on older titles or on Echoes.

5. A symphonic album about Star Fox, from the SNES to the Gamecube

Star Fox (Full Album)
Star Fox 64 (Boss Battle B)
Star Fox Assault (Space Battle)
Star Fox Zero (Credits)

Some wonderful music has been written for this franchise, from the SNES days to Star Fox Assault. A full symphonic album in StarWarsy territory would work like a charm: Example

6. Skies of Arcadia: The Music of Yutaka Minobe and Tatsuyuki Maeda

Unfortunately only the opening and credits were performed by a real ensemble. I would love to hear a symphonic suite from this gem of a game score. Alternativly you could include other SEGA titles.
It all would depend if its a project more aiming for an individual game score or highlighting the music of certain composers and companies.

Example 1 (Blue Sky Pirates Theme)
Example 2 (Drachma's Theme)
Example 3 (Theme of Deep Emotion)

Of course I also wouldn't mind rearranging/rerecording the orchestral pieces: Skies of Arcadia: Orchestral Suite

7. Soul Calibur II & Soul Calibur III Symphonic album

Soul Calibur III (Battle for the Crown)
Soul Calibur III (Symphony of Swords)
Soul Calibur III (Path of Destiny)
Soul Calibur 2 (History Unfolds)
Soul Calibur 2 (Eternal Struggle)
Soul Calibur 2 (Healing Winds)

The series has some memorable melodies and pieces. Specifically the works of Junichi Nakatsuru.

8. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

I would really love a symphonic album of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It gets neglected quite often but I think it would work beautifully on a symphonic album with four movements. Almost every major theme of the franchise has its root from that game. Of course a bonus piece about Zelda II: The adventures of Link and the remake A Link Between worlds would complete the dream.

Example 1 (Full Album)
Example 2 (Overworld)
Example 3 (Lorule Castle)
Example 4 (New credits)

9. Etrian Odyssey Symphonic Album

Etrian Odyssey IV (Your Adventure Has Ended)
Etrian Odyssey V (Adventurers Guild)
Etrian Odyssey (Throne of Creation)
Etrian Odyssey II (Town)

Yuzo Koshiro's music would really improve from a real symphonic ensemble as its really written with that ensemble in mind, it would be charming to hear.

10. Super Metroid/Metroid in general

My dream would be a cross of 90s Superhero Hollywood movie with a bit of atonal chaos and serialism ala Jerry Goldsmith.

Super Metroid (Full Album)
Metroid (Brinstar)
Metroid 2 (Staff Roll)
Metroid Prime (Artifact Temple)
Metroid Prime 3 (Credits)

Toshihiko Sahashi arranged it to a classic Hollywood piece for the Orchestral Game Concert series: Super Metroid (Symphonic Suite)
Other M moved in the same direction occasionally: Metroid Other M (Staff Roll)

These would be my dream projects. Just some suggestions from my side about music I would love to hear performed by a symphony orchestra. Seeing even one of those made a reality would make me very happy. I wish you the best of luck with it (and upcoming projects) and I will definitely support it. Your contributions and work are invaluable. Thank you

Last edited by VIN; May 21, 2018 at 07:38 AM.