View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2017, 07:19 AM
Trusted Editor

I still have to listen to a large bunch of album from 2016, so consider this list preliminary. I have listed below some candidates, which might potentially move into this ranking.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Original Soundtrack
My number one album of 2016. A beautiful piece of work, that really wants me to play the game. Can only second here what Blackiris already said.

World of Final Fantasy Original Soundtrack
The original tracks by Hamauzu that is, so about two discs of the total four. The arrangements/remixes are not bad, but I also don't consider them outstanding. Well, mabye except for Prismelody: Blitz Off! / Zanarkand, that one is pretty amazing.
The score sounds like a blend of old Hamauzu, think Sigma Harmanonics, and his work for FF13. An album release that definitely surprised me this year.

Sorcery Jokers Special Compilation SoundTrack
The second album by mamomo, after Shinigami no Testament ~menuet of epistula~, which I listened to. Has one of the finest battle tracks, check out e.g. Counter rockets, that I have heard in 2016. Looking forward to hear more from this guy (or gal?).

Hajimari no Kaze -Crossroad-
Iconic tracks by Michiko Naruke performed live? Yes, more of that please! ;-)

Proposition to the Holy Key Contractant Original Soundtrack CD
Another mamomo entry for this year. I like this one, also because it is so vastly different from his/her works for 3rdEye.

Beast and Princess Original Soundtrack
Not sure, but I think this is the first time that Shimotsuki is doing the entirety of the music for a VN. A pleasant surprise to see here step back from the usual vocal work.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Original Soundtrack Extended Edition
Heard a lot of bad review for this album, even before the extended CD edition came out. Honestly I can't follow the critique. The album is not as strong as the one for Human Revolution, but it manages to retain the style of ambient scoring of the first album, which I very much enjoyed. I think what this one lacks is cohesiveness.

Atelier Firis Original Soundtrack
Gust Sound Team changes once again, goes four discs now and introduces day/night versions of the tracks. Yeah!

Moshi, Kono Sekai ni Kamisama ga Iru to suru Naraba. Original Soundtrack
At least someone at Procyon Studio is still making music! Nice soundtrack with a beautiful main theme for an otome game.

Flowers Original Soundtrack -Automne-
From otome to shoujo ai. Third volume of the Flowers soundtrack. Winter is coming!

V.D. -Vanishment Day- Soundtrack
The album is OK, but it heavily suffers from its length.

Disappointed by:
The Orchestral SaGa -Legend of Music-
I think the review on VGMO nails it. It's pretty much color-by-numbers arrangements, with little to no "creativitiy" present. Disappointing because the arrangers could definitely do better than this. Seems more like a management decision.

20th Anniversary Tales of Orchestra Concert Album
Same here. Listened to this once, but never had the urge to come back to it. The only glimmer of light was the shrines medley. Chapeau to Miss Miyano!

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Original Soundtrack
I had this impression that this album was incredibly hyped. No idea why that is, I find it pretty lackluster. Well, at least I'm not alone why my opinion. Also I'm not sure when I last heard a good soundtrack by Agematsu. Must have been Wild Arms 5 or so...

Yuukyuu no Tierblade -Lost Chronicle- Original Soundtrack
Sounds like MANYO on auto-pilot. Nothing here that wants me to revisit the album.

Mighty No.9 Original Sound Track
I don't know what I expected this album to be. I'm not even sure that I had any expectations at all. And even with this low entry point, the album falls flat. Hell, even the main theme is a joke *goes back to MM2* *sigh*

Alice Order Original Soundtrack
I don't know why, but Hayashi's works in the TV drama department are just so much better. If I look up "boring music for cheap mobile game" on Wikipedia, then it should redirect me to this album...

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Game & Anime Original Soundtrack
Had high hopes for this after White Album 2, but half-way through this album I was barely awake. And I don't mean that in a positive way...

Quantum Break Original Game Soundtrack
Woah, but a bunch of crap. Please give me back the old Petri Alanko from the Alan Wake times.

Have yet to listen to the following albums (probably in that particular order):
- Final Fantasy XV Original Soundtrack
- Hitokui no Oowashi Trico Original Soundtrack
- Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! A Music Collection
- Grand Kingdom Original Soundtrack
- Fire Emblem if Original Soundtrack
- Gyakuten Saiban 6 Original Soundtrack
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Original Soundtrack Score
- Recore Original Soundtrack
- Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Original Soundtrack from the Video Game

In my opinion 2016 has been OK in the videogame music department. Things were a bit more on the quantity than on the quality side. And like I said before, I still have some backlog to go through.