View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
There's still plenty of great AAA stuff out there though. Nintendo has been putting out some pretty amazing stuff lately whether it's standard Mario and Zelda fare or the wacky punk style of Splatoon. NieR:Automata was just as incredible as the original, and Atlus and Falcom are still chugging along producing good, occasionally great music.
Well, I'm not trying to say nothing is coming out of the AAA sector, sorry if it came across that way, but I guess the gist of what I'm driving at is even though I ultimately have no desire to play video games anymore, I still tend to be more attracted to the music of the games I *think* I would play IF I was still playing them. Yeah, I know that doesn't make too much sense, but many of these indie projects mentioned above are more in line with what I want game play and narrative wise from a game these days if I was still playing.

It's really hard to explain this. The games mean very little to me in the grand scheme of things, but the context (and seeing the context) of the music is still very important to me at the end of the day. It's kind of a catch-22. I mean that's not always the case (you can have a horrible game with great music) but I think most people would probably admit they grow fonder of a game's score the fonder they are of the game itself - basically they help one another. Does this place too much emphasis on the original context? Indeed, but I've found that as hard as I fight it, it's a battle that's somewhat futile.