View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Could we do a quick search for that field, too? VGMdb doesn't use unofficially translated titles, but this trend is actually pretty common among the gaming community (e.g. NeoGAF). So I'd want to habor them somewhere so that we don't alienate casual visitors..
We could do this, but there's no way to prevent searches from matching the rest of the text in the descriptions, so there is the potential for lots of false positives.

Quote:
While I hate to make things complicated, I think Developers are also entitled to stay here. Perhaps 'Related Organization' or such, on the condition that we don't make a company entry that has never published VGM albums..
I renamed the field to Organizations, so we can put all publishers and developers in a comma-separated list. Our goal isn't to reconstruct the whole taxonomy of game developers and distributors, so this should be adequate. We can make this linkable too, like we've done with labels on the album page.

Quote:
I had some little concern about linking a release, along with a suggestion for platform table abolishment, but I didn't have time and want to see how it's implemented first. Thanks for hard works so far anyway.
I don't think it would lead to complete abolition, because albums still need to be searchable on the platform field, just like artists are now. The Product and Platform sections will probably have to change though. I was pondering how to do this, because there's a lot more info we want to present:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD
Xenogears, Chocobo Racing, Minesweeper, Final Fantasy VIII, The Pokemon Movie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW
Xenogears (Sony Playstation) Soundtrack, Arrange
Chocobo Racing (Sony Playstation 2) Fan Arrange
Minesweeper (Multiple) Vocal, Arrange
Final Fantasy VIII (Sony Playstation, PC) Drama, Talk, Image
The Pokemon Movie Soundtrack
That's a lot of text which will make this section a lot longer. Is there a way to compress this info? I don't know. Colors are probably out, because they should be used to denote the product type (game, anime, radio, pub) -- I don't remember if that's implemented yet.

(Note, I used "Multiple" as a replacement for a large number (maybe >5?). Just an idea that can be discussed.)

Note also that some of these may be linked to a title, and not a specific release, so that means that the platforms from all of that title's releases had to be gathered and listed. Generally, an album can be linked to zero or more releases. If it is linked to no releases, the assumption is that it contains music from all releases. An album should not be linked to a product when it contains no music that relates in any way (via the classifications) to any of its releases.

EDIT - Of course, releases can have different names on different platforms. We might have to be even more clever about this, but I'm still lacking examples that I can use to define usecases.)