View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Are you playing off of guitar tabs written by someone else or did you have to go by ear and make it yourself?
Mostly by ear. I initially looked at a tab for the original theme from the game, which are pretty readily available, but as you might suspect, this version includes a lot of accompaniment and parts that simply are not in the original. One trick I use to help with the faster parts is to slow the song down to 50%. It makes the notes more distinguishable. Part of it is also just playing for a long time. You get to recognize patterns by their sounds and can more quickly pinpoint the correct notes. And, as you probably noticed, I'm not perfect. I was definitely off in a few areas.

Quote:
At the moment, I'm using Rocksmith 2014 (spending a lot of time on the Guitarcade) and trying out simpler 8-bit/16-bit console generation tunes
That's really cool. I played the original Rocksmith and thought it'd be a great learning tool for someone starting out on guitar.

Way back in the day I did a bunch of renditions of music from the Castlevania series (mostly the original Castlevania and Simon's Quest). The recording quality was crap, but they are very interesting pieces musically.

Quote:
One of my current favourite songs right now is "The Secret Underground Passage" from his 2014 album "Forgotten Ruins". There is a "karaoke" version of the track (with the main guitar part excluded) so it would be a dream come true if I could somehow fill that role. But like I said, the lack of guitar tabs is an issue. Worst case scenario, I would probably have to offer a bounty for someone to make tabs or even possibly ask S.S.H. himself for it.
I tried asking him for the MIDI for FF6, but got no response. That's probably a longshot. I'm not familiar with the song, but if you shoot me a link to it (and also the karaoke version) I can take a listen and see if it's something I could quickly figure out.