View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:53 AM

Well, this album was underwhelming. If this was the first thing from the BlazBlue franchise to (musically) come out, I guess I would probably like it. But as it is, it's like they took the little things that I liked from the original songs out, and this album is the result. Still similar to the original for the most part, still good like the original, but not as good.

Or another way of looking at it is this is 3/4 an original soundtrack and 1/4 an arrange: most of the songs were arranged; all of the guitar solos (and song intros where applicable) are original compositions and pretty much all them not as good.

Again, I am not saying this album is bad, quite the opposite. I just can't find any reason to listen to it when I already have the superior originals. At best, BBIII is overall about on par. At worst you have MOTOR HEAD II (the ultra dark tone of the original is completely gone). Positive exceptions include Sword of Doom II (the interesting monotone vocals are replaced with proper singing) and Alexandrite II (fairly uneventful and slightly boring first minute of the original that I sometimes can't help skipping is updated with a little bit more action).

As for the actual original (new) songs in this album, I pretty much have no complaints and Daisuke Ishiwatari continues to outdo himself. The unfortunate reality is that my track list solely consists of these original compositions. My top tier songs: Science Fiction, Black & White, and SIX-HEROES. Similarly, the guitar solos once again impresses me as always: e.g. Dissonance (2:38-3:12), Justice Sword (2:23-2:54).

P.S. I also find it amusing when certain people (usually self-proclaimed GG music fans) assert that the music of BB pales in comparison to GG music by "virtue" of sounding like "stereotypical" and "generic" heavy rock/metal when the same accusation can be leveled at GG's music. It's similar to the case where certain people (usually self-proclaimed GG game fans) accuse the character design of BB as being "too anime" and therefore "stereotypical" and "cliche" when again, the exact same accusation can be directed towards GG. For fuck's sake, in the beginning, claims were made that BB's character designs were "carbon copies" of GG's character designs (e.g. red badass Sol and red badass Ragna, blue "cool" Ky and blue "cool" Jin, etc).

P.P.S. The liberal use of quote marks in the above P.S. indicates that the views expressed are not necessarily my opinion. If you want to know my opinion, proceed to P.P.P.S.

P.P.P.S. My opinion is that everything Daisuke Ishiwatari touches becomes gold. Apparently he didn't touch the arranges in the BBIII album so my statement is still valid. As for the character designs of BB and GG, I have no complaints or possess major feelings towards/against it, though lean towards positive.

Last edited by layzee; Feb 18, 2014 at 08:56 AM.