View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default A 10-Year Anniversary

So, this almost slipped by, but we just had a very important anniversary! On July 31, 2006, I submitted our very first entry, which was the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack.

http://vgmdb.net/album/3

You may notice that our lowest album entry has ID number 3, so it technically wasn't the first. Entries 1 and 2 were test submissions, something along the lines of title: "Test", catalog number: "Test", and we deleted those once things were working. Kind of amazing that the third submission was good enough to keep.

We've come a long way in 10 years, and our focus has broadened, but this entry represents everything that got us into this hobby. (On a personal note, I listened to the PC version of the FF7 soundtrack on continuous loop while I wrote my PhD dissertation, so I am pleased that it is our first.) Of course, we didn't launch as VGMdb audio until more than a year after that, but it is still our earliest footprint apart from a Word document I wrote in June 2005.

For reaching this this point, I'd like to thank fellow admins Gigablah and Miles, Mercarios (for allowing us to get started as Gamingforce Audio), other site owners such as Chudah and Mik who pioneered some of the concepts that were used here on VGMdb, all of our devoted staff former and present, and all of the editors who perform the bulk of the submission and original research here, and really anyone else that I have forgotten. You guys are amazing. Thanks for 10 years, and there are many more to come.