View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
I can see we share a lot of favorites. Nice to see Ys V get some love. I think a lot of Falcom fans never gave that one a chance because it's not as high-energy as the stuff the company is known for, but goddamn does it have some great atmosphere. I really love the dungeon themes and Niena's theme in particular. Also agree with Sorcerian being the highest-ranked PC-88 game; I think that was peak form for the Koshiro/Ishikawa tag team. More props for Alien Soldier, Thunder Force, the Ryuji Sasai stuff, and the Majin Tensei duo -- Hidehito Aoki went way too soon.
I think the problem with the Falcom fan base is that too many of them are only familiar with the newer Falcom games and dismiss the older ones as too primitive. They expected hard rock out of Ys V and "Sunshine Coastline"s everywhere in the game. Despite that, Ys V can be aggressive when it wants to and I have respect for the different approach because it was executed well. But too many close minded people say "It's not J-rock, discarded." I personally prefer Falcom's older works but Takahiro Unisaga can definitely deliver some top tier tracks.

I already expect backlash from this list once I go more public with it because of certain soundtracks I know that have mass followings. I am aware of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy (only had Mystic Quest in my list), and all those other games that receive grand praise, and though some came close they didn't make the cut for me and that's alright.

Sorcerian definitely is on another level and also it's expansions. Additionally, it has some of the best arranges and vocal arranges I've ever heard. Also, I really wish Falcom fans were more openminded to games that took a chance to be different like Popful Mail, Zwei!!, and Vantage Master. It definitely was peak since Koshiro left soon after Ishikawa was left with a lot on her shoulders. And she did well as we saw in Ys III which I consider to be her magnum opus.

Alien soldier is still the most deranged beauty that exists in video game history. The only other soundtrack I can think of that dared to take that far of a twisted approach is Evergrace. Sasai is a genius and I wonder what his aliases were because he did compose more in secret. Hidehito Aoki is my favorite Atlus composer and it is a shame he left for Sony but his tragic death is a huge loss as was Satoshi Kon's to anime.

Out of curiosity, what are soundtracks I didn't list that would make your cut?