View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:51 AM
Trusted Editor

Doing the tracklist for this and this is just general notes with questions and comments.

Disc 1

05 万里一空, this is how it's typed in the booklet (so this is correct) but I believe this is a typo for "万理一空" which appears to be something related to Buddhism and Miyamoto Musashi. I found a weblio entry for it but I'm not sure I understand it, or know how to translate it accurately, so I'm leaving it as Banri Ikku. I don't know if Buddhism or Eastern religion plays a role in Atelier games as I've never played them.
07 わが名はレジオン Not sure if the name is "Legion" or "Region", I can't find any localized examples for the name. It doesn't appear to be a character name and it's labeled as a Boss theme so *shrug*.
10 大いなる業 -- Idiomatic and I'm using "Magnum Opus" instead of "Great Work"
13 お嬢さん、一緒にりんごを食べませんか? "Miss, Why Don't We Eat Apples Together?", I think I translated that correct but grammar is not my strong suit.
14 羽休め -- Haneyasume. Not sure if this should be translated as "Roost" (Thanks, Pokemon!) or if it is another Eastern Buddhist thing I should leave untranslated. For now, I'll stick with Roost unless the rest of the tracklist when I gets to it shows me that it leans more towards Buddhist things.
15 傍らに咲く花 Part2 -- A Flower That Blooms Alongside Part2. I know it was previously translated as "A Flower Blooming Nearby" on the Dusk soundtrack but I don't know that it's accurate. This is debatable, I suppose.
17 雲の湊 -- *edit* Cloud Harbor, coe clarified -- Clouds of the Harbor, Harbor Clouds, Clouds of Minato, Minato's Clouds? I don't know if "Minato" is a place, though, and shouldn't be translated. It doesn't look like Atelier games take place in any real world but I have no idea. I'll stick with "Harbor Clouds" for now.
18 メガネが滾る -- Megane ga tagiru, I feel like this has to be "Glass Is Boiling" given the nature of the game (Alchemy??).
26 ベリーの弾丸 -- I went with "Belly" instead of "Berry" or "Beri" because it doesn't look like a character name and tracks 20~23 all share a food theme *shrug*
27 どうしたもんか -- Doshita monka, which, if I understand this correctly, is basically a mocking or rhetorical way of saying "What's Wrong?", I don't know how to indicate that in text.
28 uh, spoiler alert? lol.
29 空と気球と気候地形学的太陽の物語 -- What is this I don't even........ "The Story of the Sky, the Balloon and the Climate Geomorphological Sun" what the hell?

Disc 2

02 尻尾の数はふたつとひとつ -- I translated this as "Tail Numbers One and Two" since the wa indicates the subject of "Number of tails" I think this accurately reflects the meaning in English.
05 名もなきかの地へ -- "To the Land Without a Name" flows well, or at least better than "To the Nameless Land"
08 高度を上げて -- I'm going to go with "Increase the Altitude" for this one (agete + kodou) since the previous track is titled "Updraft" it leads me to believe it has something to do with increasing altitude or height. I guess it could mean "Lift Off", too.
09 吹けよ風、呼べよ嵐 -Full Metal Slug- -- I guess the literal translation would be "Blow! Wind, Call! Storm -Full Metal Slug-" but can someone tell me if Fukeyo Kaze, Yobeyo Arashi is an idiom? The Pink Floyd Song "One of These Days" was translated as 吹けよ風、呼べよ嵐, so I'm not sure.
10 ドロシアの虎 -- Tigers of Dorocia? I get that it can be translated as "Dorothy" but I don't know that that makes sense. It's either a place or a person and I'm not sure which, leaning towards place. **edit** Changed to Dorothy's Tiger, I guess.
11 人外魔境冒険譚 -- Rather complex word, breaking it out into parts you get 人外 + 魔境 + 冒険 + 譚 = Uninhabitated Area (or place without human life, void of humans) + haunts of wicked men (terrifying, ominous place, place infested with demons) + adventure/risky attempt/hazard + story. So in English, something roughly like A Story of an An Adventure In an Uninhabited and Terrifying Place. I don't think you can portray the full complexity of the word in English without using articles, prepositions and such.
19 発芽(ゲンミナティオ)
20 形成(フルマティオ) -- Not sure if these two are supposed to be (Genminatio) and (Formatio) on purpose or if you can leave off the last ん in "ion" words in katakana or if they're just trying to give it a Latin/Greek feel (again, Alchemy?)
21 午後は砂糖たっぷりのチャイを -- There was a typo on this track (I corrected it), 'ぷ', not 'ぶ'.
30 そして誰もいなくなった場所で -- Literally would be "And then there were none in a place" but that doesn't make sense in English so I'm going to try using "In a Place Where People Once Were"

Disc 3

03 働き蜂のいない巣で -- Translation services say "In the Nest Without a Worker Bee", which makes sense, but changing it to "In a Nest That Has No Worker Bee" to differentiate from the nest not having the bee and you/your party not having the bee.
09 硝子の鍵 -- Can't really tell without playing the game if this is supposed to be "Key of Glass"/"Glass Key" (i.e., a key made out of Glass) or a "Key to the Glass" (a key that gives entry or allows the use of Glass as an alchemical ingredient or something). I'll go with Glass Key for the time being.
10 それいけ!カイハツハン -- I don't realy know what Kaihatsuhan is (a place, a person [Kaihatsu-han, using han as the honorific, probably not since it's katakana]). Just leaving it as Kaihatsuhan unless something better comes along.
11 手おくれ -- *edit* coe helped with this one, it's "Too Late" -- This one has me really confused. "Te okure". I'm assuming that "okure" is not the verb okure, since it's written in hiragana. I'm also reading that okure can be Kansai dialect for "kudasai" but I don't know really what that means or why it applies to a fictional game. If it means please, then we're looking at "Hand Please". Or it could even be "Paw Please". Like someone is asking you for their hand/paw, like when you're talking to a dog and asking for it's paw kind of thing. That is the best I could come up with.
14 たそがれのボイン -- Really lost on this one too. Boin of Dusk? Dusk Boin? I see some references to "Boin" refering to large breasts, the sound "boing" but nothing related to any Atelier games... Leaving as Dusk Boing. Track 15 is similar so maybe the "Boing" refers to the "bounciness" of the song?
18 ひとりの部屋 -- Alone In a Room By Yourself expresses it about as well as you can.
20 蒼天の空を飛ぶ -- Technically should be something like Fly In the Sky of the Blue Sky but "Fly in the Blue Sky" holds the same meaning in English
29 手と手をつないで -- I get that te wo tsunaide is "Please Hold My Hand" but I don't know what the "Te to" in the beginning does to it. I guess literally it would be something weird like Please Hold My Hand and Hand, but does it loosely mean "Please Hold My Hand In Yours"? Or does it mean something like "Please, Let's Go Hand in Hand"?

Last edited by dancey; Sep 7, 2013 at 08:49 PM.