Thread: Moving forward
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:10 AM

After listening to you and another person, I agree with the idea of retroactivity. The experience points system, if implemented, should be retroactive. The net result of that will be that the barrier to entry for newbies will be higher. As a side effect, some people, like shawnphase, will end up with huge negative totals that, according to the rules, will result in account suspension. That's almost like an ex-post-facto law, where people are punished for something they didn't know was a crime. There has to be some way to deal with that issue fairly.

I think that the focus should be getting the system implemented for current operation first, because calculating retroactivity is an involved process in itself and can't necessarily be handled by the same functions as current and future points would. I don't see any harm in adding the retroactive points in a week or two after getting the system finished.

The issue of songs is a good one; we can decide the exact point values as needed to encourage or discourage behavior as time goes along. For now, perhaps a person should be 1 point for posting a song and points could accrue every 2 months instead of every six. Is this frequent enough? Remember, there is already an incentive for quality in posting songs that get lots of downloads and views.

I still think more input is needed before moving forward, because the opportunity cost of trying this new idea is high. The worst thing that could happen is a repeat of last May's dissatisfaction over graphic design, when I redesigned the site and then people offered comments that I didn't know about, and therefore couldn't act upon, at the time of the design.

I did hear some positive news, however, from someone yesterday that there are 28 people interested in entering a competition.

Last edited by quintin3265; Feb 16, 2010 at 08:12 AM.