View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2018, 01:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrk506 View Post
Yeah, I know you mentioned it in an earlier post -that's how I found out about it. I was just curious why you thought that wouldn't be evidence of Kazuo being the name or an official alias Sure, it does seem, based on the format of the names (last name initial, first name), that the person's name would be Kazuo N., but there's no other occurrence of anyone named Kazuo who worked at Konami at that time except for what we've known to be Kazuo Hanzawa. Furthermore, the N could have very easily been a translation error and was meant to be an H. The two letters are very similar looking. So based on this, I feel like the staff roll in Cue Brick does point to an official credit for Kazuo H (if that H was intended to be an N). Do you know of any other Kazuo's that could have been?.
I'm suggesting that if Hanzawa was never officially credited as Kazuo anywhere else (which appears to be the case), and the intended reading of 一雄 is Ichio (which appears to be the case), then it's much safer to assume that "N.KAZUO" is a separate person who only worked on one game, which isn't all that uncommon in video games, rather than a combination of (1) an alternate name that he's never used anywhere else and (2) a typo of his initial.

If it wasn't already common knowledge that he's "Kazuo Hanzawa," which based on the other evidence I'm contending was never correct, and he was always known as either Norio or Ichio, then it would be a SIGNIFICANT stretch that he's "N.KAZUO."

Quote:
Also, not that they can be trusted as legitimate sources, but there are many places on the internet that list Cue Brick as part of Norio Hanzawa's gameography. For example, here or here or the description here. Again, who knows how legitimate those sources are, but it does kind of help the notion that Kazuo N in Cue Brick is meant to be Kazuo H aka Norio H.
Yeah, I've tried to find other sources too so I've seen all of those, and none of them address my concerns above with any sort of evidence explaining why he's "N.KAZUO," so I don't trust them. Like, I could go upload a song and edit a wiki I've never heard of before to claim that Cue Brick was composed by a fake person I just made up, if you want. :V

I'm sure all of those were just drawn from the same pool of common knowledge that Norio is Kazuo, and I'm attacking that fundamental level. If there are interviews, or liner notes, or other official works lists where Cue Brick is included, or other definitive credits as Kazuo, I'm all ears.

Quote:
All in all, I think it's still really unclear what his name is and that it could be any of the three: Kazuo, Norio, or Ichio.
Given that he's credited in the Canadian Copyrights Database in three games as Norio (Bucky O'Hare, Wario World, and Sin & Punishment 2) and none as a different name, I'm very confident that's his real name.