View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2018, 04:04 PM

Okay, so I've been emailing with Katsuhiko Suzuki and one, he confirmed that Norio Hanzawa is definitely his real name, so there's no question there. Two, the Ichio vs. Kazuo thing is still unclear. I asked him:

Norio had the alias "半澤一雄" When romanized or pronounced, was the 一雄 in this case meant to be "Ichio" or "Kazuo"?

And he wrote back:

I never remember using that name when I was involved with him. However, the reading method is "kazuo”. It is so described in Japanese web.

I also asked a couple Japanese friends (CHz, I think you know Japanese anyway, so this might be irrelevant) about 一雄 and one wrote me "You might think ichio but usually 一 is kazu" and then "Ichio sounds weird and sounds like American version." So I don't know what to make of that or what Suzuki wrote.

But by the way, regardless of how the name was meant to be romanized, and say it was meant to be Ichio, since the misunderstanding of it being Kazuo is so widespread and has been around so long, shouldn't Kazuo also be listed under the aliases? Because at this point, even if not officially, he's been credited in a lot of places as Kazuo Hanzawa. Perhaps if it were listed under the aliases, there could be an asterisk explaining that this might not be an official alias but a commonly known alias?