View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:14 PM

To answer question 3, only if game music becomes widely recognized and way more popular than it is now. I don't see that happening. Video games don't get the same recognition as other outlets of media, like movies. Movies will always be looked at as more "impacting" and "important", so its related products, like movie soundtracks/scores, will always get more recognition as well. Though video games have grown in popularity since the 1980s, I can't see their soundtracks being considered "classics" by any people other than its loyal fans, whereas with movies, everybody just kind of accepts that movies are "impactful" and "important" and if we're going to call them classics, cool.

That's my take on it.

The thread topic is really interesting. Did you ask this because of the few orchestral soundtrack threads in which everyone has continuously said they have no soul, etc? I agree with those comments and I agree that Japanese game music is more interesting, even when it's not Japanese themed (like ethnic sounding, using Asian instruments, etc), but I also can't put my finger on exactly what it is that makes it this way.