Thread: Question ..
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2009, 08:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Platform
For soundtracks, I think this field should only contain the platform that this specific music is from. This is very important for the older platforms, where the music sounded different depending on the platform. For the newer soundtracks, Xbox360 & PC & PS3 all pretty much sound the same because it's usually digital. The gray area for these is the case where the music is reused for versions of the game that come later.

(To make things even more confusing, some of the music from various Koei arrange albums are used in recent Sangokushi and Sangokushi online games.)

Arrange albums are also similarly gray. I don't mind expanding the platforms to include all of the possible ones that the game appeared on. However, please don't do this for an album that has one arrange and the rest are original. This is because....

The original purpose behind the inclusion of the Platform field was to identify the source of music on albums like Lagoon, which comes from the Sharp X68000, and was a source of puzzlement back when we were mainly familiar with the SNES version of the game.

Display Titles
We've been discussing this a lot, and I'll have to re-read what we have in the submission help, because it's pretty important.

We should never translate a game name. If the game has an English release, then use the official title from that release. If not, then stick with the romanization of the Japanese. (There are apparently a couple of exceptions to this, mainly some anime-related titles because of the fansubbing and fan-translations. Blah knows more about these.)

For album titles, it's not quite so set in stone because the title might include a game name along with some other flavor text. So, if Aniki no Subete isn't part of a game name, but just part of the album name, then it's okay to translate it to English.