View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
Still on this topic of derivative works, we could discuss later when use the featured artists in commercial albums. I think we not reached a consensus after that discussion. I addition, there are a lot of arranged anime albums without the involvement of the original creators. For example, this and this, that I put on regular artists discography, since in most arranged game albums the composers aren't featured. I know many people disagree of this...
Yeah, we still haven't figured out where to draw the line on using "featured" over direct discography. We might eventually have to resolve this through a vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I'm not sure if we need to detail a style of an arranged album and Vocaloids needs their own classifications.
What I'm trying to solve is where the user wants to include (or more likely exclude) vocal albums from his searches, so we need some kind of classification to catch those albums that are full vocal (until we have percentages). It's not flawless, because not all vocal albums are arranges. Other vocals have to go somewhere, even if we call the category "Other Vocal", so that someone doesn't categorize as "OP" and "Vocal".

Synth Voice would cover more than just Vocaloids. I'm not sure if we need it either.

Quote:
It's interesting. I think these classifications work best when a single contains a full version of OP/ED themes while the OST has only the short version. If we have dedicated classifications for OP/ED themes, we need a "Featured Theme" as well, since they are sometimes released separately (like this).
Yeah, Eyes on Me is kind of like the "theme song" for FF8. We could add a Featured Theme, or combine all these into OP/ED/Theme

Quote:
When a Final Fantasy soundtrack has a Prelude or Chocobo theme, is the track seen as Derivative Work?
I don't think that re-using themes that belong to the same series should count as derivative.

Quote:
Are a best of/compilation albums also classified as this?
No, because it's a compilation. Aside, do we need a Compilation classification?

Quote:
I might be a bit too passionate about more classifications, but at the same time I don't prefer to expand our classifications broadly. What I think the minimum additions required are Unused/Prototype, Remaster/Demaster, and one or two more for character songs, commercial and trailers, but I know it may already sound too many.
So there are some things we can combine after all. We'll need Datschge to chime in on whether he thinks we can combine Remaster and Demaster.