View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Even though they're properly paying mechanical licenses, they're still unofficial fan arrangements. I thought we were using the doujin classification so people can filter out fan arrangement albums, which is why we don't use it for doujin-published original soundtracks.
The classifications doujin and commercial are OK as they do indicate what kind of publishing is it, but since doujin implies fan arrangement and commercial implies original and official arranges, we need something else to distinguish all these cases. Here are some examples of some of these problems.
Big Bang Mini OST This release was not commercial as it was free, it was self published by the developers, so it's doujin, but it was classified as commercial because it was an Original Soundtrack of a retail game.
Arkedo Series #1 JUMP! This release was not commercial as it was free, it was self published by the developers, so it's doujin, and it was classified this way because it was an Original Soundtrack of an indie game, although it's a similar case as the one above.
Aeon A free release by the same author of Arkedo Series #1 and published the same way, Original soundtrack of an unreleased game, and yet it's classified commercial.
ZUNTATA RARE SELECTION Impromptu By definition, self-published (Taito by Taito), but classified as commercial because it's a big company.
Video Games Techno Versions Presumed unlicensed remixes, classified as Commercial because it was published by a big music publisher in Italy.
Joypad Records Most releases are Fan Arrangements, but all classified as commercial because they pay proper royalties and is a well-established publisher.
Team Shanghai Alice All of its releases are original soundtracks and official, but since the publisher is the same person that makes the games and the music, all are classified as doujin.

Currently, there is not a way to filter Fan Arrangements without doujin original and official soundtracks, and there's no way to filter arrangements without having results including both official and fan.

I know there will be no changes as this debate has always been dismissed, but I wanted to share my point of view of the subject (again) and to give the usual revival of it of every 3 years.