View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:36 PM

I've done a 'thought experiment (gedanken)' in which I made a radio station that plays video game music only. It would be equivalent to the major radio stations and accessible by anyone using a regular FM radio. One thing I concluded is that if arranged music from KOEI or SNK albums were played, then people would want to know where it came from. It would 'grab' their attention, because they don't have the type of sounds one would expect from a video game. There are many other examples, such as Symphony Ys and Turok 2.

I know that 'grown folks' love video game music and they gravitate towards it without knowing what it is from. As an example of this, I was playing Final Fantasy VIII when it was released. I lived with my parents at that time, and my Mom asked me to record music from the game, because she could use it in her class where she taught relaxation techniques. A few days after the class, she told me that the people (adults) were asking about that music. They wanted to know where to buy it, where it came from, etc.

One of my dad's friends (aged 48 at the time) loved music from Star Ocean 2 and Turok 2; he claimed he had never heard anything so 'smooth (the word he used)' before. He also liked Madara Special.

I have many more examples, but based on what I've directly experienced, I would say that the potential for 'grabbing' people through video game music is phenomenal. It's very much unlike what they are accustomed to hearing and thus instantly piques curiosity.

I think a radio station that strictly played arranged video game music would surprise thousands of people, due to the lack of knowledge in the populace.