View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Including game credits and cataloging game rips are two different things. My point above concerned game credits, in the same direction as Mike. Without these, a composer's resume can be quite incomplete when "game music" is the basis.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Frequently, I get the impression that for many people, game music is considerable only when it is released on an official album. Intensive physical CD collectors are a prime example of this. Sure, albums are definitely part of the picture, but it isn't the whole of it and certainly not the starting point either. And again, it's not about game rips, it's rather the fact that "game music" would still exists if no albums were ever published (minus arranged music and the like). Yet, many game music websites don't consider this reality and cut off all music/artists which were not lucky enough to get published, as if they are expandable. In some cases, it doesn't make a huge difference (e.g. Nobuo Uemastu's discography vs. game-ography), but in other instances, it's day and night (P.S. not including game credits is the night, or rather the 'nightmare').

If a website has a clear statement that the coverage is only around albums, this is perfectly fine. However, if it considers itself as a game music database without any restrictions to the definition, and there are no plans to somehow include information about the "music from games" without the kind of discrimination described above, it shouldn't be labeled as a "game music database", but rather a "game music album database".

To some this may sound like nothing more than a play on words, but the end results are drastically different.

----------------------------

SS: I'm cool with this. Being a source of information for official releases is a more than valuable goal and yes, a massive task that isn't close to completion yet.