View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2010, 02:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This is getting complicated...

Quote:
(Myrkul's list)
# Romanized
Romanized album title as displayed in on Front/Obi cover + best translation of the rest of the title
Shouldn't these just be romanized without translating anything? If the display title already has the best translation... And the CAPS, an explicit mention would be good too.

As for whether using localized/romanized in display (when there is no English printed and such), I think this is best set case-by-case using localized only when it's appropriate, nobody will fully agree on certain titles but in like 90% of other albums nobody cares so go with romanized as a base, like it is now more or less (easier standard). When is appropriate it's up to debate (and I do think some albums are better with localized names), but when is *not * and just to clarify I'd go with:
- the localized name isn't well known/minor series/comes too late/too different/not really the same game (Gyakuten Saiban [GBA] -> Ace Attourney [DS])
- the localized name is terrible/dumb/causes problems (Sengoku Basara > Devil Kings, Tales of Eternia > Destiny II)
- the original name is clear enough for the user (Genso Suikoden > Suikoden)
- the localized name changes between games (Yuusha no kuse ni > Holy invasion of provacy Badman > What did I to deserve this, my lord)
- the locallzed and original names clash (some "Akumajo" albums were released as Castlevania in the US and Japan)
- long series with some games not being released in the US (Jinguji Saburo -> Jack Hunter)
And so on (this is just about display, you can always add US names to 3th+ line). No point in forcing all-localized-when-available and not necessarily the US name is more popular to the site's audience IMO. Plus I'd like to think the average user isn't going to flip out if searching for Castlevania shows Akumajo results...

Also about JASCII in original titles like in this entry. I think we should convert them to ASCII, unless there is proof they are used in the publisher's website/printed/etc but this is rare. Maybe somebody knows if they are genuinely used, they all look like regular ASCII to me. To help Japanese users you could make that JASCII would be converted ASCII in searchs, so they actually show results. Ex.- searching for SAMURAI in JASCII gets few results.