View Single Post
Old May 12, 2015, 11:34 AM

This is my third and final post on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
How is the way you read it without furigana relevant at all?
It is relevant because if it wasn't there, everyone would (rightly) believe the title to be Akuma no Hanayome. Hence, "The Bride of the Demon" is not a bad translation.

Quote:
It's there to tell you how to read the thing, not to offer a choice.
If it's not there to offer a choice, then why does 悪魔 exist in the first place? All doubts could be removed by simply naming it Deimos no Hanayome. Furthermore, all media showing the title shows the Kanji only or the Kanji + Deimos, but not Deimos by itself.

Quote:
The Bride of the Demon is a bad translation, in my opinion, because it ignores the way you're supposed to read the manga title.
Then it could be argued that The Bride of Deimos is equally bad because it ignores the Kanji part of the title.

Quote:
No. It consists of the japanese title "悪魔(デイモス)の花嫁" and an english translation "The Bride of the Demon", and anyone who sees the japanese will read it as "Deimos no Hanayome", certainly not Akuma no Hanayome.
Anyone who sees 悪魔の花嫁 without prior knowledge of it will read it as Akuma no Hanayome. Those who look up a little will then additionally read it as Deimos no Hanayome.

Quote:
Also that's not the original manga cover, it's a reprint. The original one didn't have any translation.
Changing of the goal posts here. It might be a reprint but it doesn't make "The Bride of the Demon" (which you disapprove of) any less official and certainly not less official than "The Bride of Deimos" (which you approve of) of the English version (which is technically also a reprint). Either both of these are valid or both are invalid but not one of the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
@layzee: I'm curious to know how you found 花婿 when it's supposed to be 花嫁
Just a simple typo there.