View Single Post
Old May 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
It seems like we are doing this in general now, but it still seems kind of gray to me, and in general we can't tell how involved someone is. I wouldn't use 'feat' on the album you linked because 1) Uematsu was involved with the album as a producer; and 2) this is a remake of Final Fantasy IV, so it's hard to make the case that it merely features the music of the original composer.

In fact, I'd personally restrict the 'feat' classification to albums where themese were 'borrowed' for use. This includes all those cases where classical pieces and anime themes are used in game soundtracks, as well as doujin and fanmade arranges. I'd hate to see this used for compilation albums. Moreover, a lot of official arrange albums could end up moving off of the regular discographies if we follow this literally.

There are some differing opinions here on this subject of course.
I also find it hard to differentiate between what should go where in that gray-area that is officially licensed arrangements. And I realize now my example wasn't very good, I overlooked the fact that he had been involved in the production. This album is a better example of what I consider to be a borderline case; the rights to arrange the music have been obtained but the original artist has had no direct involvement in the production of the album.

I think this is more complicated with Uematsu than with most artists though considering the amount of spin-off games the FF series has produced. But there are four stages of plausible 'involvement' as far as I can see:

1. Direct involvement as either composer or arranger.
2. Arranged by others for the company who holds the rights.
3. Arranged by others who have obtained the rights to do so.
4. Arranged by others who have not obtained the rights to do so.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to draw the line at sanctioned use? Meaning that pretty much only doujin land on the 'featured' pile.

Last edited by seanne; May 26, 2009 at 02:03 PM.