View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:45 AM

I really don't know why I'm addicted to VGM. Maybe because my father was into French electro musician Jean-Michel Jarre as I was a little child (three or four years old). Some tracks like Zoolook sounded very kittenish and I liked that. Some time later my mother and I visitted friends of us and as we were there the family's daugthers were playing Secret of Mana on the good old SNES.

SoM was the first game I really played and loved the action on the screen but the music... The style was different but it sounded computerish as well. Yep, was good stuff! And then it happened. The game characters entered the forest of the witch and Into the Thick of It started to charm my ears - with total success. I guess this was the moment I was into VGM.

Again some months later luckily Nintendo of Europe gave out soundtrack CDs of N64 hits (except Donkey Kong Country) as a gift to players who subscribed to their Club Nintendo magazine and so I got new stuff regularly (uh, DKC soundtrack is really a jewel).

The rest is history and thanks to the internet I was later able to buy the soundtrack of Secret of Mana (damn, was I happy as I held it in my hands for the first time). And well, I was quite surprised how enthuastic the VGM community is.