View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I've been too indecisive and meandering with my discussion thus far, so I'm going to tone it down to the essentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
I think that romanization should probably prevail in most cases for Display#1, even on higher hierarchy than the english text found on CDs.
We already have a dedicated Romanized title field, as well as an option to show Romanized titles in place of the Display titles. It begs the true question: What is our ultimate goal with the Display title? Of course, it can't be complete accuracy, because the Original title is the most accurate.

If the Display title is attempting to make an easy read for English speakers, then it shouldn't be a Romanized title unless there are no other reasonable English alternatives. Most English speakers can't make sense of many Romanizations. Sure, they can read it (and maybe even even pronounce it), but it's gibberish to them. How will any typical English-speaking game music fan know that "Gacha Mecha Stadium Saru Battle" is actually "Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed"? Likewise, I've never heard of "Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow" referred to as "Akumajo Dracula Sougetsu no Juujika". It's just inconvenient.

And again, I am all for maintaining official information. But when we already have the Original and Romanized fields used up, what's left to use the Display for?