View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

I've always been of the opinion that non-game related works by a certain composer should only be added if said composer is (1) primarily known for his work in game music and (2) has acquired a certain (fairly high) level of fame as a vgm composer.

The Trent Reznor example is a good one. It wouldn't matter how many vgm credits he'd had under his belt, his fame as a vgm composer would still pale in comparison to the fame of Nine Inch Nails. The very same concept applies to people like Yoko Kanno and Ryuichi Sakamoto as well.

In the end it comes down to drawing the line somewhere. I mean, technically we could add the entire NIN discography and so on, but this just isn't the place for it - it just doesn't fit within the scope of the database. Joe McDermott is another fellow who clearly doesn't live up to either of my standards.

As doujin has been brought up as well, I'll just say that I think the very same standards could apply there as well. So as long as (for example) MintJam remain to be mostly famous as a doujin band, I say add their releases even if they are 'works' (so to speak) albums.