View Single Post
Old May 16, 2010, 12:22 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Soundscape View Post
It may share some artists in common but it's a different kind of music and that's why people react.
Wait, how is it _different_?

I claim that there is no more difference than the 'amount of difference' we already have in the VGM area. OK, we rarely have any looped tracks in animation soundtracks but the variety of styles is the same.

Quote:
Personally I like the thought of having VGMdb solely focused on VGM since I believe that'll make it more accurate and a really credible source for VGM.
Like I said, I don't see where this problem should come problem. And I'm wondering why people see this problem.
From my POV opening the DB for animation is going to attract more people, and also people with the necessary experience to become staff.

You seem to fear that we're now going to face a DDoS-like flood of anime soundtrack additions, eventually leading to a complete halt of new material on the VGM side because the staff can't catch up with the speed.

I think this is ridiculous. The system here of adding and changing DB content is _very_ good, it works _very_ well and leads to the high quality of the DB. And this system isn't going to change, so how could we end up being _less_ accurate than before?

Quote:
We don't have the anime community to support the addition of anime just yet (but I think we will) and personally I'd like to see an implementation that doesn't clash with what VGMdb is.
And we're not going to attract these people while restricting the DB like it was done in the past.
Also I fail to see this 'clashing'...

Personally I feel that (even though I might have sounded different before) every new album is an enrichment for the DB, no matter if it is doujin, some new touhou arrange, animation, j-pop, etc.

Some DB entries are more accurate, some less. Attracting more people means more accurate entries, since someone is eventually going to work on a less accurate entry (more people -> higher probability that someone picks the entry). I'm not saying that this is going to happen over night. But I'm confident that it will work out.

Currently we might have too few people that are 'experts' on the anime soundtrack sector, but it's enough to try it. And everything else will come with time. And if someday someone decides to open the DB for let's say j-drama soundtracks, then I'm not going to oppose it (provided that the rules what j-drama is are clear).