View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2020, 08:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Sure, Shiro Hamaguchi worked both as an arranger and orchestrator on Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, but Uematsu was heavily involved in arrangement. Using the method I've described above, there was a lot of back and forth between the two using MIDI mockups—Hamaguchi would work from MIDI files submitted by Uematsu, add his own ideas, deliver them to Uematsu who would approve or reject them, and so on, until Hamaguchi would orchestrate the final version. Uematsu was extremely particular, contrary to what happened with previous arranged albums, because he wanted to have full control of the music. Fortunately, at that time, he was not yet busy with administrating Square Sounds and could devote himself to music.

It's quite funny, actually, because in the FFVII Reunion Tracks booklet, Uematsu already confessed that he would like to show more of Hamaguchi's individuality going forward. I guess this happened step by step afterwards.

Also, I need to mention that I'm not making up or misinterpreting anything. This is based on interviews we had with Uematsu himself ("we" is Denys and I, as the authors of Uematsu's biography which will be available in France this summer).