View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
While FFVI Grand Finale was arranged by Shiro Sagisu and Tsuneyoshi Saito, FFVIII Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec was arranged by Uematsu but orchestrated by Hamaguchi. This is why the FFVIII orchestra album sounds so much like Uematsu but with live instruments.
Hmm, this doesn't sound right. I think something was lost in translation here, or it's being misinterpreted. My guess is that, because there are many parts of the album with music that are almost exactly as they are in the game in terms of instrumentation, you could say Uematsu "arranged" them as they aren't changed much. But those parts are surrounded by sections that Hamaguchi probably added and modified as the arranger and orchestrator.

For example, almost the entirety of Dance with the Balamb Fish is basically identical to its game form, so it really is just a "MIDI to orchestra" type arrangement. On the other hand, the entirety of Blue Fields is quite touched up--and those fingerprints are unmistakably Hamaguchian.

That's my take, anyway, as a listener of this album for decades.

Very interesting anecdote about Grand Finale. I actually think that album is fantastic and its orchestration very artful--Blackjack & Milano de Chocobo especially.