View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
According to VGMdb, he composed for those games. I bolded the word "composed" because he also worked on Ys I & II Eternal soundtracks and Dinosaur Resurrection, and yet he says that regards DR. Maybe he said that because he/they (Sound Team jdk from 2002) didn't composed the soundtrack (the original Dinosaur was composed by Mieko Ishikawa and Masaaki Kawai), but rather arranged?
That's the issue with Falcom. The artists listed as part of Sound Team jdk in the game credits are just that - part of Sound Team jdk. Whether they composed, arranged, or just did some sound manipulation is not indicated. Not to mention Falcom tends to credit the current members of the sound team of a given release, leading to anomalies like Dinosaur:Resurrection which Ishibashi did not work on, but was credited because he was a member at the time. Zwei!! 2008 is another example. I'm not 100% this is the case, but that's what the evidence points to.

Quote:
How can you confirm that both 'Warriors' and 'Windslash Steps' were composed by Sonoda? 'Windslash Steps' maybe since it sounds a lot like some recent stuff from current Sound Team, but 'Warriors'? And also speaking of that stuff, I'm really not sure if we can use that to confirm composers because...
Yeah, you're totally right about Falcom's occasional internal similarities. New Falcom has also referenced old Falcom occasionally, but that's almost certainly to pay intentional homage. But anyway like you say, we can't confirm - rather express the likelihood of a particular track being by a particular composer. Having said that, I still think my above prediction is somewhat likely.

Quote:
But the real problem is I'm not really sure on how's Sonoda's style of music, so I can't assume to much.
I think I'm fairly confident of certain facets of his style. After all, he's worked on pretty much every game since Vantage Master, so there are inevitably going to be tracks of a certain style spanning multiple games which are *probably* by him. For example, the more militaristic type stuff like Egret Mountains or I Guess I'll Have To! In general though, I think he's clearly too diverse a composer to guess on style alone.

Quote:
BTW, I found some weeks ago a YouTube channel that uploaded some Falcom songs. That wouldn't be so strange, if not by the fact that he also puts in some of the video's description the composer and/or arranger! Maybe those are guesses?
Have you struck gold again, Matron?! This is most intriguing indeed! Some guesses have question marks, others don't. For example, his/her two VM Japan guesses. Could be a Falcom employee, but he/she has uploaded some non Falcom VGM so it's probably a fanboy/girl like us! Maybe he/she got them confirmed somehow? Or just forgot to place the question marks? Either way, his/her guess for Sonoda having composed The Eastern Cherries fits in nicely with my prediction about Sonoda's march-ey style.

Another thing that's really interesting is what he/she has to say about Takeshita here. I can just about make it out in Google Translate, and he seems to be under the impression that a track from Nayuta no Kiseki was composed by Takeshita before he left Falcom. It's odd because that's pretty much how I felt when I heard Mother Earth Altago from Ys Seven. I was familiar with Takeshita's hard rock style from his Deadball P material and immediately thought either A) Takeshita composed this before he left Falcom or B) either Sonoda or Unisuga has a really similar style to Takeshita. I'm leaning more towards Unisuga. Anyway, here's a Deadball P track you'll partly recognise the tune of.

Your channel is also pretty awesome, it has to be said! It may be a long shot, but maybe you could message tyu3900 through YT somehow? Anyway, I originally contacted mirawi through his contact form IIRC, but if you want his email, it's mirawi at sideprotea dot net. Alternatively, this is his YT.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for posting that info. Much appreciate!
My pleasure. It's good to know others share such enthusiasm!

P.S. Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited by jdkluv; Jul 11, 2013 at 04:39 PM.