View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

OKAY! First attempt at English tracklist, complete! Here are some problem spots where I could use some help:

1-11 時代を継ぐもの I have rendered "Successors to That Era." Google Translate rendered it more literally (to the grammar/sentence structure) "Those Who Succeed to That Era." The dynamic translator in me looks at what they're trying to say ... and if it makes sense in the game, I kinda just want to render this whole phrase "The Next Generation." Right? Is this anything like SaGa Frontier II, where you jump down a timeline to "the next generation" of heroes? Or is the concept of "succession" more literal, with a kingdom and whatnot?

2-14 闇を超えた先 I have rendered "Once Beyond the Darkness." That "Once" is a little vague, I know ... the most clear wording would be to use "Previously" instead of "Once," since "Once" could be interpreted like "okay, NOW THAT WE are beyond the darkness," whereas I think this track is referring to some force that used to BE beyond the darkness, and has now crossed a threshold of some kind. Could REALLY use help with this one...

2-15 紡がれし時代 ... I just gave up and went romaji on everything except the Era kanji. "Tsumugareshi Era" is how it reads right now. As best as I can understand it, "Tsumu" kanji means to spin (as in spinning or thread used for weaving), and the "gare" hiragana inflects the verb into a past/passive, so we'd move from "Spin" to "Spun." But then "shi"? No idea what to do with that. I've never seen "gareshi" thrown together as one giant verb modifier. Anyone know what to do about it?

2-16 ~ 2-19 -- can someone confirm that our hero boy victory song is about someone named "Robin"? Is there any indication on any of S-E's materials that that's how they romanize this character's name? It could be "Robyn" or something silly like "Lobin." Would just like a check on this one. Also, hope everyone is alright with Izayuke = "Let's Go!" I know that Ikoze! is the more common phrase for that translation. But it's a generic shout/cheer to pump up your hero figure in anime, I think it all basically comes down to "All Right let's do this here thing woo!" So I think "Let's Go!" is as good as anything...

(EDIT -- also, yes, the scans will come. The tracklist in-book matches almost perfectly with what S-E's website has. Only noticeable difference was the dashes around "Instrumental" don't have spaces around them in the booklet, and they're the long "em" dashes, like a connected double-dash. That's a VERY minor technicality)

Last edited by Ramza; Nov 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM.