View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
But bad performances elsewhere don't excuse this one. It's the 21st century, and orchestral recordings should be held to higher standards.
It was not my intent to imply that. I was merely bringing up an example of what I consider to be bad performance.

Quote:
Producers should look to Yoko Kanno's sessions with the Warsaw Philharmonic. Finest orchestral performances and recordings in the game/anime industry, by far.
I listen to a lot of classical music, so I know what the best orchestral recordings sound like, and I definitely have lower standards for VGM, both in terms of performance and mixing, than I do for a Deutche Grammophon release.

All the same, I feel that in this case, it's a matter of preference. Yes, the brass seem more distant in Flight than one might expect, but they're not the center of the arrangement. The mixing has a lot of elements quieter than others, but everything can be heard clearly, and it doesn't feel utterly devoid of atmosphere like studio recordings can at times.

Mitsuda did complain on his blog that the strings section wasn't big enough for what he had wanted, and that Square-Enix hadn't provided a large enough budget. However, I think the result is still satisfactory.