View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I thought I'd put together a kind of decision tree to help describe what we seem to be talking about with respect to titles. The idea here is that what goes into each title is prioritized. This isn't a final prioritization, but I think it follows what is being discussed here (please correct me if I missed something.)

Quote:
  • Display
    1. English title that appears on Front Cover (or Obi) with game name corrected if official game name differs, and other minor corrections permitted.
    2. English localized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if the game has an official English equivalent.
    3. Romanized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if there is no official English title for the game.
  • Original
    1. Album name in album's native language exactly as it appears on Front (or Obi).
    2. If everything is English, Album title as it appears on Front (or Obi) with no correction, unless this is the same as the Display title.
    3. Otherwise, leave blank.
  • Romanized
    1. Official romanization of Asian titles (doesn't have to conform to VGMdb's romanization scheme).
    2. Best full romanization of Asian titles if one is not available (conforms to VGMdb's romanization scheme).
    3. If nothing to romanize, or if Display title is already romanized, leave blank.
  • Alternate
    • English localized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if this was not included as Display title.
    • Uncorrected English title that appears on Front Cover if it differs from Display, and if a Japanese title was used in Original.
    • Japanese official title for a Japanese works released with only English titles on the album. (for serachability)
    • Fan translation of Game Title + best translation of the rest of the title, for those albums for which it is appropriate.
    • Can be blank if none are needed.
I think the major change I added here is the idea that Original should be the title as it actually appears regardless of language. This means that there are plenty of Japanese titles that will need to be moved to Alternate.

The main difference then is that we can fix some things in Display, but Original should be exactly what's on the cover (and with the Japanese taking precedence there.)