View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
* Display
1. English title that appears on Front Cover (or Obi) with game name corrected if official game name differs, and other minor corrections permitted.
2. English localized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if the game has an official English equivalent.
3. Romanized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if there is no official English title for the game.
* Original
1. Album name in album's native language exactly as it appears on Front (or Obi).
2. If everything is English, Album title as it appears on Front (or Obi) with no correction, unless this is the same as the Display title.
3. Otherwise, leave blank.
* Romanized
1. Official romanization of Asian titles (doesn't have to conform to VGMdb's romanization scheme).
2. Best full romanization of Asian titles if one is not available (conforms to VGMdb's romanization scheme).
3. If nothing to romanize, or if Display title is already romanized, leave blank.
* Alternate
o English localized game title + best translation of the rest of the title, if this was not included as Display title.
o Uncorrected English title that appears on Front Cover if it differs from Display, and if a Japanese title was used in Original.
o Japanese official title for a Japanese works released with only English titles on the album. (for serachability)
o Fan translation of Game Title + best translation of the rest of the title, for those albums for which it is appropriate.
o Can be blank if none are needed.
I like this very much, and I agree this is how we should proceed.

The only thing I had an issue with previously is the corrections in Display #1, but that also contradicts the point I had about English speakers searching for album titles by the English game titles. I now take it back, and concede to what you have proposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
You seem to be emphasizing the use of only what's printed on the album, but didn't you say that at least trademarks should be based on how the publisher prints it elsewhere (because of stylistic variations?) And because I'm pushy about these things, Why only trademarks? If the publisher prints the title a different way (consistently) online/elsewhere can't that be assumed to be the correct title and the one printed on the album a stylistic one?
Which title are you referring to though? In the case of Display #1, SS said that it would have the "game name corrected if official game name differs, and other minor corrections permitted". Essentially, the Display name is going to make the album as easily recognizable for English speakers as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
What if a game have a different title in the USA & Europe ?
My opinion is we should go with the title of the first chronological English publication.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 28, 2010 at 06:17 PM.