View Single Post
Old May 29, 2018, 03:57 PM

Just a thought I had about this project: I think going only for the big popular titles that have already been orchestrated a lot might not be the best way of going about this project. FFIV has massive appeal for sure, but people may not be willing to back it if they're already satisfied with 20020220, Distant Worlds, Symphonic Fantasies, Symphonic Odysseys, FF Orchestral Album, etc. As timeless as the FFIV OST is, there is a level of saturation here. And as Vinphonic keeps bringing up, the Turrican orchestrations got an overwhelming amount of support for a relatively unknown series. Of course Turrican isn't that "out there" since a lot of folks from a certain generation seem to have fond memories of it, but it's a far cry from the big players at Nintendo or Square. I think that should be your niche. Obviously don't go for projects so obscure that no one but the most dedicated VGM fans will know what they are, but try and find stuff through asking around here and other community forums that strike that balance of reverence and novelty. And of course there are plenty of bigger titles that haven't gotten the orchestral treatment either.

Also, since I don't think anyone's suggested it yet: the Shadow Hearts series. It's an eclectic OST, but I think there's a lot that would work for orchestra.

Last edited by Aifread; May 29, 2018 at 04:09 PM.