View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:10 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
I've had this paranoia when backing up cds to an external harddrive. But now I don't think it's that realistic a fear. Has Koshiro ever lost a game's soundtrack before due to this? I don't agree that it's too expensive. How much money do VGM companies spend on funding their artists? I learnt that Manabu Namiki went out and bought trance music to learn that sound Cave wanted in Espgaluda2; Was that out of his own pocket?
I've read of composers losing song data because of HDD failure, so it's possible Yuzo has had that happen as well!

As for the funding, no idea. Although I would have to say that out of all the departments of game development, audio has historically always been given the least amount of resources and time towards it. MIDI was still being used for a lot of games as recent as 7 years ago (Twilight Princess, FF12, etc) I understand it's because of size limitations and not of the composer's will, but it was (and still is) mostly overlooked in development.

Oh, and as for purchasing a PC-88, be sure to get a later model since those are the ones with the YM2608 (earlier models had YM2203). As for what you want to do with it, I'm sure it can be done. Although you want to do it more within the realms of the OS and not directly with the soundchips, there are videos on youtube of people using original chips from the Genesis and Master System and having them played with their keyboards via simple electrical mods.