View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I wonder why only 1-08 is suffixed with nichime. Can you please explain, or link to a reference?
Quote:
CHz suggested the prefix "oo", too. However, he did not change the suffix. Any specific reason why you think it's "yoku"? I don't find many sources that translate it as "wing".
"Oo-tsubasa" could be correct, and possibly "dai-yoku". Not oo-yoku though, got them readings mixed up.

It's a bit long to explain (more here), and I'm no linguist, but the short story is kanji have one (or more!) readings when alone ('japanese reading'/kun-yomi), and others when mixed ('chinese reading'/on-yomi).
> 'Alone': Aの翼=A no tsubasa, 赤い翼 > akai tsubasa
> 'Mixed': AのX翼=A no X+yoku, 片翼の天使 > katayoku no tenshi
Typically with 大, 'alone'=oo, 'mixed'=dai

Mixed kanji may still use 'alone' readings (oo-tsubasa), but it's less common. 'Alone'+'mixed' (oo-yoku) is quite uncommon though (but not impossible).

The reading rules and exceptions are complex but you get the idea.
For X日目 the problem here is that (I think) it's one of those exceptions. Some numbers are "X+nichi+me" while others "X+ka/kka+me". Dunno why exactly I'm afraid.

Since AFAIK 大翼 isn't an actual word, we can only guess the reading.

Quote:
I talked to CHz, and he said "yonnin" is actually supposed to be "yonin". Is he correct, or did you make a mistake as well (CHz did at first, too)? I used Google as usual, and it seems like "yonin" is at least used more frequently.
Like Blah posted, seems both are used. Maybe yonin is more conversational?