View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:40 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel View Post
Project SAM seems to be more in my scope.. I have to beg the others for it though x3
right now I have 1GB worth of soundfonts i collected since i started using my current DAW
Project SAM's stuff isn't a slouch, I've used it before, and very usable. I just resolved a number years ago to avoid large sample libraries after I started seeing the potential of physical modeling.

I guess the downside for me is the vast amount of storage space they take up, as well as how long it takes to reinstall all those massive libraries if your HD ever crashes...No fun at all.

That's not to say that sample libraries are useless. For drums, piano, guitar, or anything that is more percussive in it's attack I'd say they are about as realistic and practical as it gets...fast attacks and decays makes for easy authenticity when capturing the instruments. But for strings, brass, or anything that can do dynamic swells, I'd say the solution lies elsewhere. Simply drawing a volume control isn't enough to emulate the timbrel changes that an instrument undergoes as you play it at different levels loudness--even if your sample library crossfades between samples as you increase the volume, it's still not as natural.

Now soundfonts...I can remember when those things were the absolute pinnacle of musical technology...when a 2 MB soundbank seemed like it was ginormous....