View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Products - Phase II

So it's been over a year since I first implemented the product-linking system, and I've done very little work on it since then. I think we've got some solid answers to questions that I had back then, and it's time to push this feature to completion. First, I'd like to thank you guys for using the system so far, particularly Cedille, Seanne, and CHz, who really kept it rolling long after I got lazy. Anyway, I've put together a short design document for the next phase of this. Most of it is notional, and definitely open to discussion. A few things need to be hammered out, and any new ideas are welcome:

1. Linking to Releases

We need to be able to optionally link an album through the product to one or more releases. This indicates that music on that album comes specifically from the specified releases.
  • New database field to contain list of release ids. (Blah's idea from 1st thread)
  • Product linking page needs multi-selection box that contains releases. This will appear only on linked products, so one additional step required to link to releases.
  • Can select multiple or no release. No linked release means the music is common to all releases
  • Linked albums need to propagate up to product / franchise (I think this will work with no change).
  • Would be nice to display the release in the album list on the product pages, but I don't know how to fit it yet.
  • Need a way to mark these on the album page in the products display (e.g., "Final Fantasy VII (PC)")

2. Product link classification

We would like to provide metadata that describes how an album relates to a product. This classification resembles the album classification.
Quote:
Original Soundtrack
Arrangement
Fan Arrangement
Vocal Arrangement
Drama
Talk
"uses themes?"
Derivative Work (like "inspired by" albums)
  • Need to finalize list of classifications. (Should we use all the album classifications + a couple extra?)
  • New database field to contain list of release ids.
  • Product linking page needs multi-selection box that contains release. This will appear only on assigned products, and must be filled in order to link.
  • We can smartly fill the field's initial values based on the album classification, and the submitter can modify as needed.
  • Must select at least one classification. Can select multiple classifications.
  • Would be nice to display this classification in the album list on the product pages, but I don't know how to fit it yet.
  • Add a filter on the product page that lets you filter albums by classification (just like the filter on the artist page works)
  • Should we differentiate these in the product field on the album page? (maybe different colors for the different types)

3. Product-Artist Cross-reference

This is the big one right here, adding something that people have wanted for a long time, and something that effectively closes the loop on our coverage.
(Populating this table may also require some discussion with other sites.)
  • Linking will occur on edit-product page (most likely). Need to divine an intuitive interface.
  • New roles may be needed. We need to resurrect the effort to standardize on a role list.
  • New tab on artist pages will show the "game discography" (forward chronological)
  • New tab on product/release page will list artists and their roles
  • Will also be able to assign artists to specific releases.
  • I will need Blah's help to make the product and artist pages look good with this (page html; javascript for tab switching; etc.)

4. Product (and release) page design

Mostly, we need to figure out what to do with the big space to the right of the logo.
  • Add short description and notes fields?
  • Use flags instead of currencies (need to find a good set)
  • Add any missing "delete" operations from the edit pages

5. Deployment
  • Submission guidelines
  • Open the whole thing up to Trusted Editors after a short beta.

6. Long range future project: Cataloging technical details for game's music

This is very long range, and difficult to plan for, but it would be very cool. It's also something nobody has ever really tried to catalog.
  • Compile artist credits for every piece of music in a game.
  • Data on how the sound data is stored -- spc, wav files, psf
  • All those redbooks we've been saving would fit in here in some way
  • Not sure how non-game products fit in here.