View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
As for the mastering differences, now I'm going to have to go back and listen to these Xenosaga releases again, I was sure that the Sleigh Bells release was really blocky and distortion everywhere. This was also true for the Tsugunai soundtrack, an cinniĆ¹int, which was another Sleigh Bells release, so I'm sure I have this right...
No, no, you're absolutely wrong. The Sleigh Bells release is far less blocky and distorted. an cinniuint is, but Xenosaga I and subsequent Sleigh Bells releases have not been.

The track Battle, from both releases:

Sleigh Bells:

Digicube:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia
Well, I kind of didn't mean that in a bad way about Xenogears. It's just... oh, how would Dag put it... so typically RPG music? I like Xenogears in all of its cheesiness, and no it's not really the ethnic vocals, it's just the kind of over-emotional quality of some of the tracks.
I think I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. One of the things that's impressive about Xenogears' score is that it's very restrained emotionally. Tracks like Place Where the Dream Egg Hatches and Cage of Remorse and Regret have an emotional subtlety that you rarely find in RPG scores, especially compared to say, Ito or Sakuraba, who are always baring their hearts on their sleeves.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:16 AM.