View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2011, 07:38 PM

I think that would be deceptive and even more rude, unless the artists themselves are administering the pictures. To be completely legit and avoid copyright infringement, really permission should be sought to use any artist picture, including professional ones (unless a disclaimer is present saying it is free to use). I think this isn't something that will bring lawsuits, but it does tend to cause industry offence and grievances if not sought (some people are more sensitive than others). From personal experience through interviews, receiving permission often involves signing contract sheets, many translations, and long delays, so it isn't exactly practical for a database site (plus there is a risk of being ignored or refused permission for a multitude of reasons). It's frustrating, yes, but not necessarily strange -- I suspect many here (myself included) would be mad if they found their picture, especially private ones, on some public database without prior approval. This is less of an issue with album covers, given they are generally scanned and are less personal.

Last edited by Chris; Jan 1, 2011 at 07:46 PM.