View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2019, 05:19 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
I guess one would have to ask that directly to Meroni; I can't provide more information (and on this very specific subject, I wouldn't really trust a reply from RedCode Interactive, either).

I remembered something, isn't this sort of similar to what happened with the Enter the Matrix promo? Did the composer have the rights to sell the album? Didn't the music belong to the development, or maybe even movie company (that video game did use music from the movie franchise)?
I haven't listened yet, but are we certain the music is exactly as it appears in the game? I'm thinking it might be a situation similar to what Yasunori Mitsuda did with the soundtrack to Tsugunai. I believe the circumstances were that he didn't have the rights to the exact recordings that were used in the game, but he still owned the rights to the compositions themselves. So he hired Masaaki Kaneko to recreate all of the synths and virtual instruments from scratch and released the soundtrack as an cinniĆ¹int (https://vgmdb.net/album/2011).

I doubt that's what happened here, but it is an interesting precedent.