View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2017, 06:24 AM

Ahoy thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
He also writes that he wants to "let you know" about "something else", hopefully "within the year", though he is unsure if the "preparations" will be concluded "in time" before the "end of the year".

Needless to say, that is quite vague. I would like to take a guess though. We will refer to S.S.H.'s Twitter account, to a particular tweet: https://twitter.com/SSH_SAITAMA/stat...20388580483073

On the 7th of August 2016, he tweets his regret that he was unable to publish a non-Vocaloid original vocal album during summer (June to August in Japan). Nevertheless, he hopes for an August release (September to November). That obviously didn't happen. The next season is Winter, which covers December to February.

So that's my prediction: a new original album soon from S.S.H. Also, let's look at the release dates of his first original album (Forgotten Ruins in August 2014) and second (Click & Metal in December 2015). If history is of any indication, the time is ripe for a new album late 2016/early 2017.
Well, it's (almost) here. A new original S.S.H. album. Not late 2016, not early 2017, but just past mid-2017. It is called "N.A.V.E." and here is the tracklist:

01 Abyss
02 No Meaning
03 Cradle Song
04 Hellbics 112
05 Disco -Snow Eyes-
06 Jac-A-Jan
07 Moonlit Showdown
08 I Wish
09 Disco -C.A.P-
10 Go Back Home

Some differences with this album:

1) It is, in his words, a "full" as opposed to "mini" album.
2) It is not just instrumental songs - there are a variety of vocal styles.
3) More musical variety/genres in general.
4) No more "main melody"-less tracks.

Some of these songs can be sampled on his Soundcloud.

01 Abyss is a slow Devil May Cry-style gothic song with choir vocals and low key death metal vocals. Death metal vocals will probably be a big part of this album. I recall him using these kind of vocals before so after 5 minutes of searching his musical history, I found one instance of his brief usage of it: 比類無き鯖 ~S.A.V.A.~(2006).

02 No Meaning is a combination of male death metal vocals and female scat vocals that seems to enter yodeling territory. The female part sounds quite similar to "voice performer" Kyoko Kishikawa (Shadow Hearts, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, etc) - definitely not a bad thing. Actually he already released the full version of this song elsewhere a few months ago, though the album version might differ.

03 Cradle Song is more death metal plus what appears to sound like screamo.

04 Hellbics 112 has the vocals take a back seat. Some of the instrumentals (e.g. the synth or keyboard) sound like his 10+ years old stuff to be honest.

05 Disco -Snow Eyes-, as the name may imply sounds more pop-ish with female Jpop-style vocals. Honestly, it (the vocals) reminds me of something I heard from the Beatmania franchise music. I don't feel like scouring through it so I'll just leave it at that. Oh and it has saxophones.

06 Jac-A-Jan has female vocals again, and again, also sounds "retro" S.S.H.

That's all for the official samples, but note that he had also already released a 3 minute Work-In-Progress sample of 09 Disco -C.A.P- (may differ from final version) in January. As the name may imply, this song sounds pretty groovy. Also has male vocals.

My favourite thing so far is "No Meaning". Since this album is so vocal-centric, there's not as many lead guitar melody parts so therefore, as an instrumental metal fan, it might take a bit of effort for the album to win me over. In any case, I will reserve judgement until I get the album and give it a proper listen. The album also has liner notes but I'll read it after the proper listen. I will share my thoughts once that has been done.

One final thing - the album title. N.A.V.E. comes from nabe (鍋), or "hot pot". Although it is in the midst of summer in Japan, he nevertheless likes his hot pot, adding whatever vegetables and ingredients he likes - "yum yum... but it's hot". If you follow my site, read the S.S.H. biography, or his twitter, you would know that he loves talking about food, and this album is no exception.

Anyway, this album is his "hot pot" of stuff he likes. And that's all that needs to be said really.

"N.A.V.E." can be pronounced "nah-beh" or "En - Ay - Bee - Ee". You can also read it as "Nayve" in a somewhat cool way. Read it however you wish.ead it as "Nayve" in a somewhat cool way. Read it however you wish.