View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:10 AM

Well after much thinking the subject might not be the best fit. Like it was pointed out, it's quite broad but above that it feels slightly unfocused. Like, I don't have a good enough thesis to warrant writing this and there's just too much material I'm not familiar with that needs to played through (games and music).

So, I thought I'd check in with you guys and see if you had any ideas for a subject. The paper would most likely be between 20-100 pages depending on if I proceed with it after this semester.

The important thing is that the subject is tied to game music. I'm much for analyzing music, why it was chosen, how (in the musical sense) it was made and if it serves a specific purpose etc. I'm not a stranger to actually covering a complete game or series but it'd have to be something that's relevant and preferably that I'm familiar with. For example the Persona-series are rather unique among RPGs in their use of "popular music-inspired" music as a soundtrack. This would certainly merit looking into how it's used and the thought behind them more.

Another subject I'm thinking of is "Game Consoles as Musical Instrument". You can make it a bit more narrow by excluding stuff not actually performed/made on consoles and expand by adding the same. It's also something that I think is incredibly unique to game music and that SHOULD be highlighted. Thoughts on the subject?

Any other series or games that deserves to be chronicled about for future generations? Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by Another Soundscape; Sep 2, 2010 at 04:47 AM.