View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
This is more a case of her being a member of a unit than an alias, though, since MES doesn't exclusively refer to her, as an alias would. And I'm not sure how we can say with certainty that ME have in no other cases been involved in hiring people to do jobs for the video game industry [were we able to find out if this was the kind of company ME was?]. So I would treat this case as any other where 'the parent is credited instead of the child'.
In the context of video games, she is currently the only person associated with ME who worked on a video game, and since ME is now gone and it was never mentioned in any other game, I highly doubt it can apply to anyone else.

As I said before:
Minakuchi Engineering = The organization
Minakuchi Engineering Staff = Kinuyo Yamashita

Though not an official employee of ME, she still worked through them externally in order to accomplish what Capcom originally assigned ME to do. That temporarily makes Kinuyo involved with ME's business affairs.

The page for Minakuchi Engineering can stay; it had the role of being a relay between Capcom and Kinuyo, but Minakuchi Engineering Staff is, in the context of video games, a name that belongs solely to Kinuyo. The only contradiction to this would be if any other composers worked with ME AND used that exact alias, but presently that's more of a "wait-and-see" scenario, as the organization is gone and the only way information like that would be revealed would be interviews such as this or other forms of public disclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Given a) Kinuyo Yamashita explicitly stated she is NOT part of Minakuchi Engineering Staff, b) an externally contracted freelancer does not constitute a company staff member, and c) Minakuchi Engineering is a unit, not an alias, I totally disagree with kyubihanyou and think listing it as an alias would be misleading.
-She may not be an official member by definition, but she still fulfilled ME's obligation to Capcom from outside the building, like an external auditor for an accounting firm, and essentially worked for them because she was asked and ultimately assigned by them to do that job, just as the basis of any company assigns duties and obligations to its employees/staff.
-She is externally contracted from Capcom's position, but she was given the assignment by ME, who in turn received it from Capcom, making Kinuyo more directly under Minakuchi Engineering. The most likely reason Capcom used the term Minakuchi Engineering Staff is because they assumed that people from within Minakuchi Engineering would do the compositions. In other words, Capcom knew nothing of Kinuyo's involvement at the time, doing nothing more than initially contacting ME and collecting the finished works.
-Minakuchi Engineering, by name, is most certainly a unit, but the name Minakuchi Engineering Staff, in the context of video games, currently applies to only one person, and most likely no one else. Like it or not, Kinuyo is associated with Minakuchi Engineering to some degree of employment. Perhaps she could have been referred to as "Minakuchi Engineering Special Group" or "Minakuchi Engineering Outside," but at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact that all the music was composed, programmed, and otherwise created by Kinuyo Yamashita. The name Minakuchi Engineering Staff on the X1~X6 album is merely a placeholder for Kinuyo created by these apparently obscure contracting negotiations, but, like any other alias, there is a real person behind it, and that person is Kinuyo Yamashita (at least for X3/this album).

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 17, 2010 at 02:12 PM.