View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
What I'm trying to solve is where the user wants to include (or more likely exclude) vocal albums from his searches, so we need some kind of classification to catch those albums that are full vocal (until we have percentages). It's not flawless, because not all vocal albums are arranges. Other vocals have to go somewhere, even if we call the category "Other Vocal", so that someone doesn't categorize as "OP" and "Vocal".
I didn't know so many users hated vocal arrangements in particular :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
All of our classifications so far are applicable to albums or tracks, but maybe we need some album-specific (or rather, disc-specific) ones. Namely:
Vocal Album - for discs that are *mostly* vocal
Compilation - Compilation of previously published material.
It's definitely nice to have some dedicated classifications to albums and media (I also propose we turn Live Event and Video into such), but once we classify one album or disc as Vocal Album, would it basically stay as Vocal Album alone? Or, do these album-specific classifications stay together with the other ones we use for individual tracks? I imagine either way can potentially be problematic.

(...perhaps we eventually classify an album as a whole by picking up only one or two of the most dominating classifications, and then additionally provide information on the percentage or ratio of how the individual tracks are classified)

Quote:
As for the rest of the vocal classifications, what if we went with
OP/ED/Theme Song - Openings, Endings, and Featured Themes
Character/Image/Commercial Song - For character, commercial, and other miscellaneous vocals.
I think it would be better to not limit these classifications to vocals only, as OP/ED/Theme song can sometimes be instrumental only (like this). Also, I think a trailer theme is akin to a commercial song (but tend to be instrumental only), so I feel it should be covered by Character/Image/Commercial Song.